Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Destination (Never an Arrival)


  

    I haven't been posting as much as I would like to over the past week, because I've been spending close to all of my time practicing.  I suppose you could say I've had a bit of a "practice fit."  On top of that, I have also been watching lots of music on youtube.

    Watching a few videos of your heros do what you want to do with ease can be quite inspiring, but after a certain point it starts to get to you.  Say, after about the 3rd straight hour of watching all the people I admire on youtube, I began to start thinking of myself as a hack.

    It's not the first time I've questioned myself as a musician, but it's the first time it really made me think about why I feel that way sometimes.  A friend of mine suggested it was just part of being an artist, and after a long pondering session with myself, I had to agree.  I think that it's what makes an artist an artist.  The artist is constantly trying to improve upon his/her work because he/she never feels that it is good enough.  Being an artist is the constant struggle to reach a destination that can never be arrived at.

    I came across an essay on this exact subject yesterday by Steve Khan.  That can be found here.  If you didn't know already, Mr. Khan is an incredible guitarist.  I first heard him on a live recording of the fusion group "Steps Ahead."  He has also written a couple of books for guitar which are also excellent and I would highly recommend them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask any questions you may have if you don't understand something, or challenge my ideas if you don't agree with something. I want to hear from you whether or not you liked it. I would love to debate topics and ideas with you, or just let me know what's up. Either way, I want to hear from you!