Sunday, January 24, 2010

My "Real" Journey


  

    So I have done an assessment on where I am, musically, and where I want to be.  The results?  I'm not where I want to be.  What do I need to do?  I think I need to learn more tunes, so I will learn more tunes.  How will I do it?  I'll tell you how I'm going to do it.  I'm going to take my 6th edition Real Book and learn every goddamned tune in it.  All 400 and some.  That's right, I said 400 and some.  It's so many tunes that I can't even give you an exact number.  How long will it take?  A long time.  I will be posting regular updates on my "real" journey, so check back often to see how I'm doing.

    What's the Real Book?  I'm glad you asked.  The Real Book is a fake book.  Confused?  That's understandable.  A fake book is a book that contains lead sheets to tunes.  A lead sheet contains the melody and chords to a song, giving you the basic harmonic structure of the song.  The Real Book is just a slightly clever name for a fake book that contains the lead sheets to "standard repertoire" jazz tunes, otherwise known as "standards."

    My journey begins now.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. You might also have a look at www.RealBookSoftware.com
    The benefit here is that all of the RealBook jazz charts are shown in all four transpositions C,Bb,Eb, Bass clef in a sortable, findable database, but the really cool thing is that each chart includes the orginal recording which would give you a much better feel for the song and thus making your 400 song quest alot easier!
    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the best implementation of the real book I have ever seen. Now if only I had the money for it. I will, however, recommend it to other people until I can afford a copy myself. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to ask any questions you may have if you don't understand something, or challenge my ideas if you don't agree with something. I want to hear from you whether or not you liked it. I would love to debate topics and ideas with you, or just let me know what's up. Either way, I want to hear from you!